4 Great Spiritual New Year's Resolutions & How to Keep Them


If there's one word I dislike more than the others, it might be 'resolutions'. Why? Because I make dozens of them every year and find myself looking at a checklist that's only a tenth of the way checked off by next New Year's. It's completely my fault, I know, but it's still super overwhelming to see how many things I've left undone at the end of the year. Again.

That's why I'm only going to have a few resolutions this next year, and they're going to be resolutions that really count.

Some people will tell you to write resolutions for each category of your life, e.g., physical, mental, social, etc. While I admire that method and have tried it in the past, having so many things to focus on sometimes distracts me from resolutions that are most important, namely spiritual resolutions. Get the spiritual taken care of first and everything else will fall into place, apostles have said. Well, why not experiment upon the word and give it a shot?

Here are four simple spiritual resolutions you can make in 2015 to become a better person and a few ideas of how you can accomplish them. And who knows? Maybe you'll become a 4.0 student or mom of the year along the way without even realizing it.


1. Improve your scripture study.
The older I get, the more I realize how vital it is to not just read my scriptures, but to take the time to seriously study them as well. That is something you and I can always work on. Sometimes, though, it's hard to know where to start. How do you even begin to study? Well, here are a few of my favorite ideas that can help you hit the ground running in 2015:


idea for color code marking scriptures--good idea for helping kids learn to study Scriptures
 You can find other resources like this at sugardoodle.net.


Ari's Tips:
One thing that seems to work well for me when I'm reading my scriptures is to pinpoint something that I've struggled with, had questions about, or felt during the day. For example, say you're about to do something that really scares you, like speaking in public or telling someone how you feel. Center your study around fear and faith that day. Use the index, people. That's what it's there for. Or maybe you just want to do better as a member missionary. Study Amulek, Ammon, and Alma to learn about their methods and how you can improve your own. When they say the scriptures contain the answers, they aren't lying. The trick is to first know what we're asking and then go searching.

Another thing I've noticed about my own study habits is that I'm more likely to get something out of my scriptures when I'm listening to someone else reading them. Obviously, I can't force someone to sit down and read while I follow along, but thanks to the magic of the LDS app-building team, I don't have to. Get onto Gospel Library, find your place in the scriptures, hit the little triangular play button at the bottom of your screen, and whamo. Instant narration you can follow along with.


2. Become a better home/visiting teacher.
Alright. Let's all be upfront and honest about this: every single one of us really sucks at being a VT or a HT, and if you don't suck, you still could do better in some way. I'm no sage, but I feel this assumption is pretty accurate for most people. So what are we going to do about it? There are people who need us! We can't just leave them hanging.

Well, here are a few ideas that may help:



Ari's Tips: 
Forget about the numbers, and focus on the friendship. Put the same kinds of efforts into your teaching experience that you would put into a relationship: take them to lunch sometimes, send them texts to show them you care, remember special dates in their lives and be a part of them, etc. Be there for them more than once a month. Another tip: start again. I know that some of you haven't visited with your teachees in a long time and are definitely feeling guilty, but still not reestablishing that contact because you feel awkward and embarrassed. Here's the deal: get over your pride, get to their home, and ask for their forgiveness. Then make every effort to show them that you care. They will understand. A lot of them, like my family, probably really don't care what has kept you away. They just really want to have you stop by again.

Finally, remember how it feels afterward. This is so critical to being a good teacher. There are so many excuses we can make that keep us from visiting our ward members, but the feeling you get after visiting someone is unreal. It's like an increase in love and the spirit. Hang on to that! It will help you.


3. Attend the temple regularly. 
How many times do we make excuses and keep ourselves out of the temple? A lot, right? Sometimes, due to various circumstances, we cannot attend the temple frequently, but if we can, we need to. Here are a few suggestions I have:


Ari's Additional Tips:
Just go. Stop using excuses and laziness to keep you from renewing your covenants and getting an extra boost of Spirit Power. 


4. Get involved with family history.
I realize that family history is not everybody's favorite thing, but that doesn't mean it's not important. I used to hate it, to be honest, but then one day I just got onto Family Search, and I found myself completely enthralled by my family and by the work. It really is miraculous to experience the turning of your heart to the hearts of your fathers. I'm going to blog about this later, but for now, a few tips:


These are just four goals out of a billion and one that you could choose from this New Year's. They might not help you lose weight or get that career you've always wanted, but they'll make you more faithful, more converted, and spiritually strong. And who knows? You might achieve more goals than you ever thought you would just by putting the best things first next year. 


Labels: , ,