Chivalry is Sick

Yesterday was my YSA stake's first activity of the summer. We were watching ward films as part of a Stake Film Festival. They were great and entertaining (for the most part), but one experience leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. 

I was really quite irritated and embarrassed yesterday when I sneaked to the front to sit in the spot I had saved. There was a young man sitting in it, a young man who I knew was preparing for a mission. It didn't bother me a lot that he sat in my seat, it happens. But when I stood there and looked confused and apologetically towards my friend sitting next to him, he said, looking up at me with his head cocked and his legs sprawled out, "Oh, I'm sitting in your spot, aren't I? Well, I don't even feel that bad about it." 

For the rest of the night, I spent my time sitting on a hard floor or on the corner of my friend's chair, my spine bent in a very uncomfortable and unhealthy position. It wasn't that I wanted to sit that way -- it really hurt my back -- but I had very few options at that point. All because this young man took my seat and, rather than being chivalrous, chose to be selfish and rude about it. 

It really isn't a big deal, nor should it be, nor did it ruin my whole evening, which was actually really lovely, but I just want to say to all of you young men: you sell yourself incredibly short when you choose to be rude. If I ever see any young man kick a girl out of her seat and make her sit on the floor again, I will walk up to him and I will chew him out until he learns his lesson. It was mean and I'm obviously still angry about it. 

You don't understand how valuable chivalry is until you run into a person who doesn't seem to know the meaning. 




Labels: