What is your dream?


The other day I had an amazing conversation with my good friend Eden. We started by catching up (as, for the moment, we live in separate countries), and then we started discussing dreams and goals. Few conversations I've had lately have bolstered my spirit as much as that one did.

Has anyone ever asked you what your dream is before? I'm sure they have, whether it comes in the form of "What do you want to be when you grow up?" or "What do you want?" Once upon a time, when I was on a date with Number Five, he asked me that exact question. What do you want in life, Arianna? I couldn't give him a good answer.

Many times, people have asked me, "What do you want?" Living in an LDS community my whole life, I have often felt extremely pressured into saying things like:

A family
To be married
To serve a mission
Kids

All of those things are beautiful and good, and I want all those things, but I think we (and that includes me) often feel pressured into saying them because in an eternal perspective, those are the things that matter most. Oftentimes, when people ask us what our dreams are, we abridge them. I want to be a doctor. I want to be a mom. I want to do something great. 

I'm here to promote the sharing of unabridged dreams, dreams that are wide and beautiful, dreams like the one Eden told me and the one I told her. Dreams that are honest.

You know what my dream is?

I want to live near mountains, beautiful, towering, jagged, godlike mountains. I want to live near a lake that I can hike to and swim in and catch fish in every summer with a cool glass of water and a good book. Somewhere with a history and somewhere with big, stunning rocks that I can climb and perch myself on to watch the sun set. I want to have a nice little home filled with photos and artwork I've made and furniture I've refurbished. I want a little studio where I can write about lessons I've learned from life and the mountains and my beliefs, poetry and novels. If I were to somehow eek out a nice living by doing that, I'd want to go backpacking all around the world and meet people from every situation and write about them like no one ever has before. And then one day I want to have a family. We'll make rockets and castles out of cardboard boxes and I'll read them To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn and Great Expectations when they're growing up so that they'll love books and love life. We'll go camping every summer, spread our bodies out beneath the stars and talk about God. Every night we'll read together, and when they grow up and move away, I'll send them a new book every Christmas. 

That is my dream. Unabridged and growing every day. 

What's yours? What's your completely unabridged dream? Leave a comment, let me know. [: 

Labels: